03 January 2008

Microsoft Money believes in me

I spent some time last night looking at the budget, paying some bills, and seeing where exactly I stand financially right now. I use Microsoft Money to balance my checkbook and keep track of my spending, which is really easy and useful, in my opinion. So MM has this feature that does a "cash flow forecast" based on your spending, and I looked at it over the next 30, 90, 180 and 360 days. Over the next 30 days, it looks like not much will change. But by 90 days, there's a dent, and by 180 days there's a bigger dent and by this time next year, there's a huge dent. I feel so encouraged, Microsoft Money. Thank you for believing in me, and reminding me that you have to stick with something for more than 30 days to see the results.

One thing I DIDN'T do, however, is take out the money in cash. I'm afraid! I want to make sure all the bills are covered so nothing gets overdrawn. Plus, I couldn't figure out how to track my spending if I take it out in cash, if I use my debit card then MM codes all the spending for gas or groceries or dining out or whatever. So I'll probably wait until April 1st (~90 days) and reevaluate my plan.

No comments: