04 August 2009

Michael Pollan on Cooking

In this week's New York Times Magazine, Michael Pollan (one of my all time favorite writers) talks about cooking:

Out of the Kitchen, Onto the Couch
Published: August 2, 2009
How American cooking became a spectator sport, and what we lost along the way.
Read more...
*Just a few words from me on this:

When people cut their budget, one of the first things that
gets cut is groceries. Not only does this end up being
time consuming (all the coupon cutting, flyer scouring,
driving to the cheapest store) but it negatively impacts
the quality of the food you buy. I've talked about this
before, but the food you eat is the fuel that helps you
work hard, play hard and feel good. Not only that, but a
good diet is a good investment in your health. So, visit the farmer's market, check out a cookbook from the library,
and go for it.

2 comments:

LauraC said...

I find the entire coupon thing fascinating.I use coupons to stock up on essentials at my store, things that rarely go on sale like natural peanut butter and organic milk. I still think you can be frugal and eat well.

I actually just started reading a blog you might like. It is three people trying to eat well (healthy) on $50 a week:

http://www.fiftybucksaweek.com/

But that is ALL food, take out, lunches, snacks, etc. I love this blog!

Anonymous said...

I agree! For a while, we cut back a lot on our food budget, but we realized we were purchasing a lot of stuff that wasn't very good for us. Cheap, yes; healthy, no. So... We're spending more on food now. To me, shelling out a few extra bucks for some carefully-chosen, store-brand organic food seems worth it.

We can cut back in other areas, like going out to eat.