30 January 2009

Houston, we have a (major) problem

My exhusband has stopped paying me child support. He's paid once since the week of Christmas. Once he said he lost his wallet, the next time he "had rent to pay," last week he said he put cash in my mailbox and "it must've been stolen" and now this week he's claiming he'll give it to me tomorrow, which I'll believe when I see.

Sigh. Big deep breath.

I have no idea what to do.

ETA: he's self employed. :(


Krista said...

Call your lawyer ASAP. I am afraid that if you let him get away with it, he will keep trying.

I used to do payroll in Ohio and there it is mandatory that child support be taken from their pay check. The payroll company ,ails a check to the child support enforcement agency and they distribute it to the custodial parent. Anything that doesn't go through the enforcement agency is considered a gift.

I think you have been more than patient and more than nice. If I were you, I would try to get the support taken from his paychecks. Then the only way he can't pay it is if he quits his job.

BabiesandBargains said...

I agree with Krista...My mom tried to play nice with my dad and it just didn't work! She had him garnished because he was too "self employed" It really sucks when you think your getting a 5k tax return yet your ex wife ends up with it ;)

That Girl said...

(former single mom) I would go through the courts also. It would just make everything run smoother. huge hugs!

Krista said...

Even if he is self employed they can make him pay.

My step sister kept going back to court until they finally took his business away from him, sold it and gave her all of her back support and attorneys fees. I am not even kidding you.

They can also take away his drivers license, or take any tax refund he is owed. (I even have a friend who had her ex's fishing license revoked for failure to pay. lol)

Also, you want to make sure that the court is keeping track of how much he isn't paying. Another hard to believe story, but I kid you not - my uncle is still paying back child support for my cousin - who is in her 40s! My aunt kept going back to court and it kept racking up against him. He finally got social security disability and they now take part of his check to give to my aunt. She even tried to go to court and have it forgiven (after all of these years) but the court said no. lol