02 May 2008

Library Love

Although I am a frugalista in my free time, during the day I am a professional librarian. So, I thought I would talk a little about how the library is an amazing resource for someone trying to say money.

Obviously, the books are free. Wanna read the Economides' book? Check it out from the library. Search the whole world for books by going here: http://www.worldcat.org/

Not sure where your library is? Try this: http://nces.ed.gov/surveys/libraries/librarysearch/

So, the library has books, but you probably knew that. Did you know that most public libraries have DVDs? How about CDs? Free activities for kids? Computer classes, movie nights, lectures? By checking the website of libraries around you (don't forget colleges!), signing up for their RSS feeds, or reading the local paper events page, you can find tons of things to do for free or on the cheap.

Getting a library card is one of the most frugal things you can do!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Jaime, I just found your blog yesterday, and I was pleased to see that you are a librarian. I manage the interlibrary loan dept in an academic library in Georgia. I, too, am trying to live more frugally, so I've enjoyed reading about your progress.

Fooferoo said...

I found your blog through someone else's blog (sorry can't remember where) and I read the entire thing. No I'm not a stalker.

Keep writing, you make saving money interesting :)