27 June 2008

instead of complaining on here I should have emailed New York Magazine

http://nymag.com/news/features/2007/sexandlove/30928/

a quote:

In these early days, I find telling anyone other than my closest friends about my separation a little draining, not because of my own emotions but because of theirs. One acquaintance has tears in her eyes. “Oh, my God! You poor thing. Is it so awful when you get home in the evening and there is no one to have dinner with? Is it so awful to have all those hours alone?” I am touched by her concern, but it also makes me feel like someone who has fallen off the edge of one of those colorful medieval maps to the place where there are only sea monsters and dragons. In the coming months, this tone will become familiar to me, ambient as it is of fatal illnesses.
By Katie Roiphe Published Apr 23, 2007

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sending this to me. Loved it!!