14 July 2008

Staying home is a wonderful, wonderful thing

My children spend Sundays with their father, which is wonderful for all of us. Typically, I spend this quality alone time (something I didn't get much of as a SAHM of two children born 18 months apart) leisurely perusing Target clearance racks and watching shows like "Rock of Love II." After last Sunday's financial indiscretions, however, I decided that this Sunday was best spent at home.

It was sort of, well, glorious- although I of course- OF COURSE- missed my children. And I was certainly eager to get them back. But in the meanwhile, I hung laundry on the clothesline. I weeded my garden and tied up my cucumbers. I cleaned my bedroom. I moved my winter clothes out of my closet. I pet my cats, I ate homemade bread (another new obsession), and I posted on the Bargain Board. I blogged. I took a shower. I ate a gigantic chicken sandwich with my grandma's cucumber salad for lunch, and had a beer and sat in a chair in the backyard. It was a beautiful, bright and windy day. It was a great day.

And I didn't spend a dime.

Amma's Cucumber Salad
(slightly modified from the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook)
1 cup sour cream
1 tbsp vinegar
1 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp dill
1/4 tsp salt
pepper
1 large cucumber, peeled, halved and thinly sliced
Mix ingredients in a bowl, toss in cucumber. Refrigerate, covered, for 2 to 24 hours. Stir occasionally. Eat all.

2 comments:

letterstoelijah said...

I think I'm going to have to try that cucumber salad.. sounds so yummy! Thanks.

Suzanne said...

Thanks for sharing the receipe, it sounds quiet yummy.